Glenn Beck: asshole or idiot?

I know we’re going back a couple of weeks at this point, but in case you haven’t seen it, this is the sort of thing that’s happening on one of the most popular news networks in the States these days. Thanks to Crooks and Liars for the link.

Let’s go ahead and give Glenn Beck the benefit of the doubt here. Let’s put aside what he may, may not, and probably never said about Bush in the past. Let’s ignore the likely deliberate “Obama/Osama” moment. Let’s ignore the fact that he basically took the names of King and Gandhi in vain.

Hell, let’s ignore the part where he tries to ascribe credentials to his guest that are so patently false that the guest himself insists on refuting them. Let’s even be gracious and take no pleasure in the hilarious expression of “stop pointing out that I don’t know what I’m talking about” frustration on Beck’s face as that happens. I’d hate to think we were approaching this with a liberal media bias, so let’s go ahead and put that stuff on the shelf.

Instead, let’s focus on the facts: Michael Scheuer stated live on Fox News that “the only chance we have as a country right now is for Osama bin Laden to deploy and detonate a major weapon in the United States” – and instead of saying something like “Wow, I can’t believe you just went on the record with your view that the mass slaughter of innocent Americans is the only way to save this country,” he said “which is why, I was thinking this weekend, if I were him, that would be the last thing I would do right now.”

I want to make it abundantly clear that I’m not presenting these quotes out of context. Go ahead and watch the clip for yourself. Sure, I’ll admit that it personally seems so unconscionable that I not only consider it a strong case for ignoring anything Beck ever says for the rest of his paranoid faux-weepy life, but it even makes me wish I could think of a single example of Beck saying something insightful and/or grounded in reality, just for the sake of being fair.

But I can’t. And as tempting as it is to blame Beck for living in the tiny point of overlap in the Venn diagram of xenophobic paranoia and ratings gold, I’m willing to admit that maybe I just didn’t do my homework on this one. Or maybe I didn’t want to, because I secretly hate America. It’s difficult to say.

Anyway, I hope you don’t think I’m just spewing socialist hate when I say that if everyone at the Huffington Post formed a Voltron with Alec Baldwin as the head, then even that liberal media Voltron couldn’t possibly accuse Glenn Beck of saying anything more reprehensible than what he willingly said on his own show. I mean, he conceded that the only thing that could save his country was the mass killing of American citizens. Maybe I misunderstood it because I’ve got health care, but still, you know?

Posted in Uncategorized

7 Responses to “Glenn Beck: asshole or idiot?”

1. jason says:

Nope, he’s just a nut; he opened an interview with the first Muslim member of the US House of Representatives, just after he was elected by some Minnesotans, “I don’t want to sound racist here, but… how can you prove to me that you’re not working with our enemies?”

I can’t even make that shit up.

2. Matt says:

You’re right, that was him! I’d forgotten all about that.

And to be fair, some of Glenn Beck’s best friends are working with our enemies.

3. Frugie says:

I think the Huffington Post will never be overly successful because that they are hard-lined communist and not just ordinary American liberals and I don’t think they’re fighting Glenn Beck but making him look like the Golden Boy and I think they’re making him much more popular. They did the same thing with Sarah Palin.
    I visit the Huffington Post regularly and when I made a suggestion for a story they ignore it.
    Glenn Beck is dangerous. I think he’s more powerful than the President.
    The problem with radio is that anyone can say anything they want even if it isn’t true.
    So we’re watching the overthrow of our government, especially by false accusation and false statements by creating fear in the minds of Americans.
    The problem is relevant all through America where the Communist which are actually the American Atheist organisation are saying that the government is somehow separated from religion. This denies common values for people where we fully know by historical writings that liberty is based upon religions and philosophy and that only the government is not allowed to establish a religion, but it does not exclude religious and philosophical input into government. Homosexual input is OK to the American Atheist communist organization and they’re way too powerful and no one should want this kind of power influencing their government.
    For instance children growing through prayers in school is not a bad thing and this helps a society stimulate some simple values which is repeated over and over again through human history for thousands of year. It has benefited most societies.
    But Glenn Beck is a bad apple and radio needs moral principle like they had back in the 50’s

4. Beck isn’t an idiot exactly. He’s a wizard at marketing himself. He seems like he’s got an average IQ, so maybe most people are idiots.

He is, however, an asshole. I don’t ever say this on my blog, but I’m trying to be professional in my analysis.

Beck is a liar, a hypocrite, a megalomaniac and a charlatan, a talented charlatan. That’s why he has such a huge following. He’s very persuasive. Sometimes, he actually gets things right. Not often, but sometimes.

I love it when he says something really stupid. Lately he mentioned “honest questioning.” I know of dishonest answers, but how can a question be dishonest.

OK, maybe is an idiot and an asshole.

5. Çit E. A'Sscrack says:

It’s hard to follow what you’ve said, but it’s clear that Beck is perhaps both an asshole and an idiot. Based on that, I’d guess he’s from Toronto. Seriously though, he is just trying to get rich; so he’s not an idiot, just an asshole.

6. Matt says:

Well, if Glenn Beck were from Toronto, he wouldn’t have to work nearly as hard as he does to prove that he’s better than the bulk of his country.

Ah, but we do like to kid each other, the people of Toronto and the obviously jealous people from some lesser part of the country. It’s a good thing we can at least find a common ground in putting down jingoistic Americans.

7. Pat says:

If you say somenthing enough times the weak minded in this country will belive it. History is now repeating itself. Remember Borman. His propaganda helped change a country to a mob of muderes. Anyone that does not believe that vile speech does not influence these people are fools.